Friday, March 20, 2015

Mastering Pasta: The Art and Practice of Handmade Pasta, Gnocchi, and Risotto by Marc Vetri with David Joachim


http://images.randomhouse.com/cover/9781607746072?width=125&alt=no_cover_b4b.gif  Mastering Pasta: The Art and Practice of Handmade Pasta, Gnocchi, and Risotto by Marc Vetri with David Joachim. 2015. Ten Speed Press. Adult nonfiction.

I confess that I have always wanted to make homemade pasta. The thought of plump little pillows of ravioli stuffed with my own combinations has always been balanced by the thought of flour all over the kitchen, hard-to-clean rollers, and tough dough. Just the title of Mastering Pasta may be just the counterbalance to push me over the edge to really try making pasta. In 261 pages filled with colorful photographs and straightforward words, the authors help both experienced and novice home cooks begin and perfect pasta dishes.  

Of course, I turned first to the chapter on ravioli and stuffed pasta. From the dough to the fillings to the cheeses, Vetri discussed pasta making. What a relief to learn that I don’t need fancy equipment at all! But, oh,oh, the first recipe calls for ricotta impastata cheese. What on earth is that? Helpfully, the author gives a page number to a definition. He mentions his favorite brand and even how to make this yourself. Clearly written instructions make this sound not so daunting after all.

Chapters include  information about hand-formed pasta, gnocchi, stocks and sauces,  baked sheet pasta, and lots about flavor, ingredients, and authentic Italian ways to do things.  It’s interesting reading. Several sequences of smaller photographs show process and procedure. Large full-color illustrations show dishes ready to eat.

Are there recipes I’ll never make? Certainly! Porcini pasta with snail and porcini ragu is not at the top of my list. Bluefoot mushroom risotto with castelmagno cheese sounds beyond both my capabilities and the limits of my local grocery. But, are there recipes I can dream about? Oh, yes, and making a great egg yolk dough is among them!

Basically this book has something for all cooks. On page 6, it states, “The only true path to the quest of mastering  pasta is to continue making it.” With these recipes, my shopping list, and this book, I’m ready to start the learning curve. Or maybe just take a trip to Italy and taste the REAL thing? Either way, I’m happy!

Many thanks to Blogging for Books. I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments: